Modern information systems allow performing management tasks of different degrees of complexity including management of remote employees. However, this kind of management has its own advantages as well as disadvantages. Approximately 40% of all world companies use labor of remote employees more or less. Problems and success of remote management technology become obvious eventually. That is why it is important to pay your attention to some details of this process.
Implementing of certain amount of work remotely usually is a necessity for people who have intellectual work. Accountants, engineers, teachers and managers and people of other occupation often work at home. But this kind of remote work differs from permanent remote work. That is why a specialist who works remotely should have certain characteristics and fulfill certain conditions.
Necessary qualities and conditions for an employee who works remotely
- Ability to arrange working time. This is a decisive skill as there is no anyone to control you at home. One of reasonable methods of self-control in this situation is using of a time tracker in order to know how much time you spend on certain working tasks.
- Ability to express your thoughts clearly and precisely and to listen to your chief. Sometimes a manager has not enough time to set objectives or listen to a report during a long period of time.
- It is also important to set a certain time for fulfilling of tasks and online contacts with a manager. It is essential that an employee should spend a certain amount of time on fulfilling of his working tasks and a chief manager should be sure that he has a possibility to contact an employee within the frames of this period immediately. Programs which provide time tracker services, such as CrocoTime, have options of scheduling and possibilities of integration with calendars.
- Knowing of modern technologies of connection and computer competence. Remote work is impossible without an ability of using of e-mails, time trackers, web browsers and other necessary programs.
Control and motivation
All new employees who work remotely need to have a focused attention of a manager:
- It is necessary for a chief manager to give precise instructions and answer all their questions;
- A manager should become an instructor to an employee at this stage, as information sent online is understood worse than in a face-to-face meeting.
- Employees should understand a company mission correctly and everything that is required by a company.
This is the main key of all further cooperation of an employee with a manager. Time tracking is the best way to monitor work effectiveness of remote employees without bothering them or spending their time. However, it is important not to control the way employees arrange their work. It is more important for a manager to concentrate on results and methods of work effectiveness improvement. Time tracker reports give accurate and extensive information about the level of work effectiveness.